domingo, 9 de octubre de 2011

A fruit which is not a grape!

It´s interesting how the names of the food put us in a certain perspective towards the food itself and towards how we imagine it. If a person says “grapefruit”, you probably think about a fruit which looks like a grape in shape, colour or even flavour. Unfortunately, you would be completely wrong. If we go back to its etymology it´s true that it is a compound formed by “grape” + “fruit”, but this food has nothing to do with grapes in appearance, so why this name?

The grapefruit is a hybrid between the pummelo and the sweet orange. One story about its origin is that the Captain Shaddock brought pummelo seeds to Jamaica and bred it, that´s the reason why it was known as the “shaddock” until the 19th century. However, the name changed, turned into another one. Why?

There are two theories about the choice of this weird name: The first one and also the more usual is that in the 19th century a naturalist noticed that the fruits appeared to grow in clusters, like grapes do, and decided that it would be appropriate to call them this way. 

The second one comes from Ciardi, an American etymologist, who stated that the pummelo´s botanical name is “Citrus grandi”, meaning great citrus and that “it would be natural to call the new pummelo variety a “greatfruit”. After saying this name a few times, it sounds like “grapefruit”, unless you make an effort to pronounce it in the right way. That could be the reason why it changed to that form. This last suggestion is merely speculative, there´s nothing that ensures, supports or attests it.

Now it´s up to you to decide which of these theories is more accurate or seems more reasonable for you.

Hope you enjoyed it!  

13 Comments:

Pablo Martinez dijo...

I have never tasted it but i will in the future. Great job!

M*José Garrido dijo...

Love your post! =) It's so colourful!

Lola Lagier dijo...

Hahaha thanks to both you! By the way Pablo I've heard that the grapefruit is acid (I haven't tasted it neither) so I don't think you like it...

Pablo Martinez dijo...

acid?? another reason to taste it! It is difficult but it can change my way of thinking. Why not?

Jesús71 dijo...

I will make an effort and taste it if you insist...

Lola Lagier dijo...

Ok. After tasting it please tell me about the experiece, because I´m not going to do that! hahaha

M*José Garrido dijo...

You should taste any kind of food and you would find out that all of them or.. the most are delicious! I've realized that!

Jesús71 dijo...

No problem! I taste everything, I like everything!!!

Lola Lagier dijo...

I´m quite weird at that respect..I´ll do it if all of you insist but I´m not really convinced

M*José Garrido dijo...

Jesus... no comments! it sounds...very bad! hahahahh

Sarita Abril dijo...

do you imagine eating twelve grapefruits to celebrate the new year?? xDDD

Pablo Martinez dijo...

It would be a remarkable night!! in the hospital.. but remarkable! hahaha

M*José Garrido dijo...

I imagine.. but I wouldn't like having to do that! hahahah

Publicar un comentario